Arthropod is the 30th and last level of Advanced Mode in Super Monkey Ball 2 (69th in Super Monkey Ball Deluxe) and World 4-10 of Story Mode in Super Monkey Ball 2 (World 4-18 in Super Monkey Ball Deluxe).
This stage consists of five rings, with the goal attached at an angle on the final ring. A large robotic insect is standing on the structure with cone-shaped feet, with two on the center ring and one foot on all others. As the rings rotate, the insect will walk by moving its legs across the rings, moving three legs at a time.
To reach the goal, the player can run off the edge of the starting platform and bounce to the final ring before attempting to stay on until the goal passes. However, as it takes about 20 seconds for the goal to reach the top of the stage, it is instead recommended to move onto the rings with approximately 40 seconds, and rush into the goal quickly. Also, it is possible to reach the goal by falling off the edge of the final ring, but this is likely to be very difficult since you would need to time the monkey’s movements exactly. In Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania, you no longer need to wait for 20 seconds, as the goal has been moved to reach the top in roughly 10 seconds. The rest of the strategy is still roughly the same, however the stage is much easier, as the gaps no longer exist.
Changes in Banana Mania
The goal now reaches the top sooner. Additionally, the rings have been made much wider, almost eliminating the gaps, and the goal no longer overhangs the edge.
- This is the first stage in Story Mode to have a difficulty rating of 10/10.
- The insect in this stage is often erroneously referred to as a spider, but it only has six legs instead of eight.
- Arthropod is generally seen as an incredibly difficult stage due to the strange physics of the feet and intensity of getting into the goal, and some players believe it should belong in the Expert or Master modes.
- The only part of the insect that appears to have collision detection is the legs.
- In the game's files (Stage ID 80), there is an early version of this stage where the five rings are replaced by a large cylinder. Additionally, instead of hanging off the end, the goal is located in the center of the cylinder, and moves in a zig-zag path. This version is also a part of Debug Stage 192.